Saturday, April 26, 2014

A moment to remind you why you chose nursing...

 
 Yesterday one of my patient was complaining of severe pain.
He couldn't sleep. He sat up, fidgety, restless, and nauseated because of the pain.
He started hitting his head because it was so painful.
I felt sorry for him and held his hand
I called the doctors hoping that they could help.
They ordered painkillers which I promptly gave.
The pain was still there.
I suggested icepack. He agreed.
I placed the ice pack on his shoulder.
I wanted to bandage the icepack so it could stay in place without me holding.
At that moment he said,
"Missy, don't go, keep me company... talk with me"
*heart melt moment*
So, I stayed. I held the icepack on his shoulder and stayed with him.
I was silent, not knowing what to say.
He seemed less fidgety.
He fell asleep after a long while.
 
It was,
a moment to remember.
to know that just being there brought some comfort to them, 
in the midst of their pain.
 
 It was the same feeling I felt when I was just a child, probably about 6/7 years old
I remembered there was this child, probably abt a year old or so who cried bcos of the roaring thunder
My first reaction was to hug her
And she stopped crying in my embrace
It just felt so, so, so good.
 
I realise there is great joy in giving, in bringing a little comfort, a little joy, a little love to someone who needed it.
 
It was for those moments, I chose to become a nurse. Sadly, such moments don't happen everyday, don't they?

No comments: